Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Healthier Apple Crunch



A little off topic of the post, but I'm excited to say that I've joined the team Operation Cookie Drop on Baking Gals. For those of you unfamiliar with the site; it is for volunteers to bake goodies and send them to troops deployed in a war zone. You can also add other goods to your packages as well.



On to the apple crunch...

I have a whole bag of granny smith apples that I need to use up, so I went on the hunt for some new apple recipes. I wanted to make something a little healthier than the pies and dumplings I usually make. I found this recipe for Apple Crunch on the blog Good Things Catered, and it seemed to fit the bill. It was quick and I was pretty impressed with the flavor for the few ingredients. It will definitely become a regular dessert at our house!




Apple Crunch

4 large apples
1/2 c. oats
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
4 Tbsp butter, cold
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp vanilla


Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray an 8x8 baking dish with baking spray
Peel, core, and dice apples into 1/2-inch pieces
Spread apples evenly in baking dish.
In medium bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg
Cut butter into small pieces and add to dry ingredients along with the vanilla.
With pastry blender, cut butter into dry ingredients until all butter is about the size of a small pea.
Sprinkle this mixture evenly over apples.
Place baking dish in oven and bake for 55-60 minutes or until apples have cooked down and begun to caramelize.
Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment