Monday, February 7, 2011

New Camera!

So after drooling over DSLR cameras for a year, we finally purchased one! I did a lot of research and despite the hype over the Canon Rebel models, we went with a Nikon D3100. The reviews seemed more user friendly and the sample photos were a little more impressive than those by Canon users. We also got the 35mm lens, because I wanted something that would take better photos indoors since we currently have no natural sunlight(hopefully that changes this spring!).

It arrived today and I have been playing around with it a little bit. I haven't tried the kit lens yet, just the 35mm. I haven't ventured over to Manual mode yet because I have no idea what half of the settings are. These two were in Auto and I think came out pretty decent.

I was looking for random things to take photos of in the house...





For comparison sake, here are the same photos taken with our old Canon point and shoot in Auto mode:





The biggest difference I see is that the point & shoot pictures with no natural light are usually overexposed, but that doesn't seem to be a problem with the Nikon. I have heard that an acessory called a Speedlight helps to brighten up indoor/low light pictures, so that may be something we look into after figuring out all of the features on the camera. I can't wait to go play in the snow with the doggies and really put it to the test!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a difference! Your poor old mother is having trouble just trying to operate the point and shoot camera!

    ReplyDelete