Monday, February 21, 2011

Cookbook Reviews

I recently ordered a handful of cookbooks from Amazon.com and thought I would give a mini review of them here.


#1 - I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy by Devin Alexander

I really like this book and would probably rate it 4 out of 5 stars. All of the recipes in it are very easy, require few ingredients, and are on the healthier side. We are trying the honey bbq wings tomorrow for dinner! They have a recipe for zucchini that looks amazing, a super simple mac & cheese recipe, and it has also convinced me to try goat cheese(I'll report back on that one). One downside is that it doesn't contain many pictures, and I am a very visual person.

#2 - Cook This, Not That! Easy & Awesome 350-Calorie Meals by David Zinczenko

This is my favorite of my new cookbooks! I had seen the Eat This, Not That articles on Yahoo and always thought it was amazing the amount of calories that could be packed into a meal. The book gives examples of meals from popular restaurants, shocks you with just how awful they are for you(a nearly 2,000 calorie pork chop!), and then gives you a healthier alternative to try at home. The first one I have bookmarked are the Hawaiian crepes. Yum!

#3 - The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl by Ree Drummond

I think this one has good points, and annoying points. I love that she is very detailed with her recipes and gives step by step pictures to help you along. I found most of the additional commentary about her life on the ranch to be annoying filler. Frankly, I don't care. I bought the book for the recipes, not for your biography and family portraits. That aside, I am dying to try the peach crisp with maple cream sauce! Bought the peaches tonight and will be making it this week.


#4 - Baking: From My Home to Yours By Dorie Greenspan

I love this book! I had heard wonderful things about Dorie Greenspan, but was afraid her book was going to be intimidating or difficult to follow. It's not at all! Baking is one of my favorite things to do, and there are so many amazing cakes, pies, etc in this book. I think I am most excited about the layer cakes because that is something I have been wanting to improve on for awhile. Mine usually come out sloppy, and I am hoping with her careful instructions I can make a pretty layer cake for once!

No comments:

Post a Comment